Google

Monday, February 9, 2009

Droppin' Science

Q's ever-growing interest in the world around him is really beginning to play into my dorky hands. Not that I have an extensive scientific knowledge, I just love discovery and I seem to be passing that on to Q. He gets almost as excited as I do about discovering something new, even if it only holds his attention for 5 seconds before he runs off to something else.

After Q watched an episode of Curious George in which George did something similar, he told me he wanted to put nuts and seeds in some water, freeze it, and put it out for the squirrels to chip away at. Quite entertaining!





The Science Museum of Minnesota here in St. Paul has catered to our schedule and returned their Preschool Playdate to Monday mornings. Sweet. This will probably motivate us to finally add them to our stack of membership cards. Until then, they still offer Children's Museum members reciprocity during the Preschool Playdate. The new Water exhibit is pretty cool with the water vapor entrance being the highlight for Q.







From what I've seen on YouTube and a few blogs, A LOT of parents took advantage of the extreme cold over the past month or so with the throwing a cup of really hot water into the air to make an instant "cloud" trick. We did too. Q's Oh's and Ah's were worth the minor frostbite. We never did get bubbles to freeze though.


A parent of a preschooler is only as good as his tools... or is that a carpenter? I don't remember. Anyway, we've recently acquired a few useful "instruments of science". Both boys have been having a lot of fun playing with a small prism we got. Q has been begging for a magnifying lens for a few weeks now so I finally caved when he found one with two LEDs on it for less than $5 at the Science Museum. Now he spends many of Ozzi's nap times inspecting our small rock, fossil, shell, and coral collection we have to keep out of reach while Ozzi's awake. The best new tool of all is my new G1 phone. With mobile access to Wikipedia, YouTube, Google Maps, etc. there is no question that Q can ask that I can't answer right on the spot. Awesome!

1 comment:

Vintage Tracy said...

Ooooooh, gotta try the prism. We've been discovering ice and water and snow in all it's many forms and forms of enjoyment (splashing, anyone?). I consider it science!